Dental implants are today's premium tooth replacement option. Placed by our experienced dentist, Dr. David Donnelly, right in his downtown, San Diego, CA, office, implants give you the biting efficiency, appearance and confidence of natural teeth. Would you like to know more?
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a small screw or cylinder crafted from biocompatible titanium metal. Rough in texture, this device resides in your jaw where you once had natural tooth roots.
After the simple oral surgery, the implant begins to bond with the bone. Called osseointegration, this amazing process rebuilds the tooth socket, avoiding the degradation caused by dental extraction.
Over the ensuing weeks to months, osseointegration strengthens the jaw sufficiently so that you can bite and chew. Then, you'll receive a metal post and porcelain crown to complete your single-tooth dental implant.
Why choose dental implants?
There are many reasons why people choose dental implants, including:
- Versatility Implants can replace one, two, several or even a complete arch of teeth.
- Improved bone and gum tissue quality and quantity Every time you bite and chew on an implant, you exercise underlying tissues.
- Stability of remaining natural teeth (no shifting or loosening)
- Clear speech You won't slur your words or hear weird clicking noises.
- Stable and strong oral function No adhesives or relining are required.
- Simple oral hygiene You brush, floss and rinse dental implants just like natural teeth.
- Longevity Well-cared for implants last 30 or more years, reports Ritter Implants.
Getting dental implants
Just arrange a consultation with your dentist in his downtown San Diego, CA, office. Dr. Donnelly will examine your teeth and gums carefully and take special 3D X-rays of your jaw. He looks for sufficient bone to accept the implant devices. If there's enough, he can proceed with the implant procedure, inserting the implant(s) directly into the bone.
He chooses the implant size and style right for your needs. Sometimes, that's a mini-implant, appropriate for many denture patients who have reduced bone density in their jaws. Once implant sites heal and osseointegrate, your general dentist will add on the supporting posts and crowns or dentures according to your treatment plan.
You'll be pleased
Dental implants are highly successful, well-tolerated and long-lasting. They could be right for your tooth loss needs. For an informative consultation with Dr. David Donnelly, phone his downtown San Diego, CA, office at (619) 231-0822. This highly skilled dentist will give you all the details you need.