- More than 80 million people in North America snore while sleeping.
- About 160 million people are negatively affected by snoring.
- Until recently, there has been no effective snoring prevention device other than surgery, which is moderately successful.
- We now prescribe an affordable, custom made snoring prevention device that is flexible, thin, and comfortable. This device is the Silent Nite.
- We have found that the Silent Nite is a safe, painless and better alternative to the moderately successful surgeries. All we need to do is make an impression of your upper and lower teeth.
- Our success rate with the Silent Nite has been phenomenal. Patients come back to us and rave about the results of the Silent Nite.
Clinical studies have shown that Silent Nite devices are successful in more than 85% of cases. Other options such as surgery, drugs, nasal strips and dilators have success rates of less than 50% in cases.
What causes snoring?
During sleep, the muscles and soft tissues in the throat and mouth relax, making the breathing airway smaller. This decrease in the airway space increases the velocity of air flowing through the airway during breathing. As the velocity of required air is increased in the constricted space, soft tissues like the soft palate and uvula vibrate. These vibrations of the soft tissues in the mouth and throat result in what is called “noisy breathing” or generally referred to as snoring.
A relaxed and collapsed airway produces soft tissue variations during breathing which results in snoring.
Other causes of snoring include excess body weight, heavy alcohol consumption and other sedatives. Surgical techniques to remove respiration impairing structures such as uvula, enlarged tonsils and adenoids have been among the many attempted snoring remedies. These soft tissue surgical procedures have shown only moderate success rates (e.g. 20% to 40%).
How does the Silent Nite prevent snoring?
Snoring research has also shown that custom fabricated dental devices worn at night that move the jaw into a forward position, increase the three dimensional space in the airway tube which reduces air velocity and sort tissue vibration. By increasing the volumetric capacity of the airway and preventing soft tissue vibrations, snoring is eliminated.
With a silent night device the airway remains open allowing easier breathing and preventing snoring.
In clinical research studies, these devices have exhibited initial snoring prevention success rates of between 70% to 100%. The Silent Nite device positions the lower jaw into a forward position by means of special connectors that are attached to transparent flexible upper and lower forms. The forms are custom laminated with heat and pressure to our model of your mouth. The fit is excellent and comfortable.
Does the Silent Nite Interfere with breathing?
Silent Nite devices do not interfere with breathing through the mouth. Even in cases of congested nasal passages the device prevents snoring and allows uninhibited oral breathing. Small movements are possible with the Silent Nite. This minimizes stiffness in the joints of the jaw in the morning. The Silent Nite also helps to promote deeper, more restful sleep by preventing snoring. Over-the-counter bleaching agents are available at drug stores and pharmacies. However, since these products can harm the gums and teeth, it’s better to use products that our practice recommends.